Thanks for stopping by to check out the first episode of Parent Teacher Conference! This episode features a thoughtful conversation with 5th Grade History Teacher—and St. Andrew’s parent—Meriwether Truckner, Haydenne Archie, a current 8th grader at St. Andrew’s, and Katie Hathcock, a parent of two St. Andrew’s students, Stella and Carter. We chat about classroom management styles and student behavior, centered around an article in Edutopia by Ben Johnson. It was such a privilege to sit and chat with these three ladies. Mrs. Truckner has been a colleague I’ve looked up to since I started at St. Andrew’s because her organizational skills and her classroom management are among her many talents, and I loved hearing Katie and Haydenne’s perspectives on parent involvement in student success in the class as well as what students can do to be more successful stewards of the classroom. Hope you enjoy the episode!
Our conversation is time stamped below:
- What makes for the best classroom environment (1:45 - 7:00)
- Self-care & its impact on behavior/teaching (7:20 - 14:00)
- Parent & Teacher communication (14:05 - 19:20)
- What do you do when things go amuk? (19:30 - 24:00)
- COVID’s impact on management & behavior (24:05 - end)